Cashew Sour Cream {Vegan}

Cashew Sour Cream

While it may be true that there is no real substitute for dairy-based sour cream, I would argue that this cashew sauce is just as enjoyable, and maybe even better that actual sour cream. I had made chickpeas in a tomato and tamarind gravy with spices from my archives that was rather thick — almost like a chutney — and fluffy jasmine rice, and after the first night of enjoying it, I decided I wanted to combine the two in a wrap.

I thought some sort of cream or sauce would nicely elevate the flavors of the wrap. My original thought was sour cream, but I didn't have any on hand, and as nuts often make a great substitute for many sauces and dips that are often dairy-based, I made a tangy cashew, lemon and vinegar cream sauce that is not only packed with protein, but also very easy to make. Just toss everything in the blender, whiz it up, and it's all set. It keeps well in the refrigerator for up to two weeks in a well-sealed container. I am sure it would be a lovely topping for chili and other dishes where you might want a dollop of sauce or thick cream, and certainly an accompaniment for other wraps. I enjoy serving my favorite refried beans in a wrap, and this "sour cream" would be just the thing for topping those wraps off too, along with a little hot sauce perhaps. Consider tossing this with a variety of vegetables for a nourishing and filling salad.

Vegan Cashew Cream with Wrap

Cashew Sour Cream {Vegan}Cashew Sour Cream {Vegan}
Recipe by
Published on May 4, 2018

Vegan "sour cream" made with cashews, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar

Preparation: 5 minutes

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours or longer in cool water
  • 2/3 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
Instructions:
  • Drain and rinse the cashews in cold water and transfer to a blender. Add the the water, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and salt. Process until fairly thick, smooth and creamy. Add a bit more water if necessary. Taste and add more vinegar, lemon juice or salt if desired.

  • Refrigerate in a sealed container for up to two weeks.

Makes 1 2/3 cups

Vegan Cashew Cream with Wrap

Other sauces you may enjoy from Lisa's Kitchen:
Chunky Cashew Tamarind Chutney
Cashew Cheese Sauce
Velvety South Indian Tomato Chutney
Mushroom Marinara Sauce with Fresh Herbs

2 comments:

Melané Fahner-Botha said...

Looks great, Lisa. Would it freeze do you think? I am alone on this food track and blenders don't do well on small amounts....

Lisa Turner said...

Thanks for stopping by. While I have not frozen the cashew cream, it should be find so long as you store it in a glass container with a tight fitting lid. I found it lasted even longer that two weeks, again in a covered glass container. Hope you enjoy this sauce as much as I do.